Faith is Byrd’s top priority

Comments

1. Bernie says:

Barry Goldwater despised politicians like Byrd:

“There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God’s name on one’s behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both. I’m frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in ‘A,’ ‘B,’ ‘C,’ and ‘D.’ Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of ‘conservatism.’ ”
    (1909-1998) US Senator (R-Arizona) Source: Congressional Record, September 16, 1981

2. C. J. McElhinney says:

The Constitution doesn’t mention God, Jesus or any other deity.  Why do you think that is, Mr. Byrd?  And why do you think that there is no separation of church and state despite the plain meaning of the 1st Amendment of the Constitution and over 200 years of jurisprudence which say otherwise.

Frankly, this man is not qualified to be a candidate for a local city council, let alone the United States Congress.  I left the Republican Party years ago because it continues to put candidates like this on the ballot.  Those of us on the right wing who are rational just shake out heads at this kind of nonsense.

Religion is totally irrelevant for politicians, they can’t really believe in anything but themselves and their selfish motives to promote themselves above everything else, they have no morals or moral principles above getting elected and “ruling” over us. Look at what we have in office around this state and nation, they violate any religious principles daily with the way the act and “govern”.

4. qofdisks says:

This guy would roll women’s health care straight back to the Dark Ages.

5. pauleichhorn says:

I judge a Christian by how well he treats the poor, heals the sick and shows mercy to the prisoner.

6. galrepub says:

I was born and raised in a very strict religious family: prayers before meals, 12 years religious school, church every Sunday unless you were on your death bed, etc.  I was also raised to believe your religion was a personel thing.  Now a days when you meet someone, it is not “Hi, my name is so n so”, it’s more like “Hi, I’m baptist/catholic/jewish/etc.”  I do not want to know what church you attend, I want to know where you stand on issues.  What drove me crazy, and obviously a lot of other people, about Rick Santorum was that every time he spoke, it started out with a new religious theme.  A week or so ago, on Fox News (I can hear the big sighs !) was an interesting poll. The majority of people polled said they would vote for an atheist providing he had their same views of government, etc.

7. Michael H Schneider says:

The large Sikh community in CD3 will undoubtedly be among his strong supporters, as will the numerous Jews and Buddhists. Those Native Americans who are properly grateful for what the Catholic theocracy of Spain brought them (or brought the survivors whom the missionaries didn’t murder) will also support him.

He’s a theocrat, and he wants a Christian theocracy. That’s the same impulse that brought us the Crusades, and played a major part in antisemitism, and which turned Spain from a model of science and learning into a third rate peasant agricultural society. Even today in the US the Christian fundamentalists are taking a brave stand in opposition to education, knowledge, learning and (most importantly) freedom. Iran is a theocracy, and look how prosperous and happy a place it is. What’s not to like about theocracy?

He says “His family has always talked openly about religion and politics, and Byrd doesn’t understand why some people prefer not to discuss the subjects.”

I like to talk about those things too, as I’m doing here, but I like to point out that Christianity has been one of the most powerful forces promoting evil in the history of the world. That poem on the Statue of Liberty doesn’t talk about welcoming people yearning to impose their particular religion on others, it talks about people yearning to breathe free. Perhaps he doesn’t want to hear that.

Perhaps he just lives in a different universe with a different history.   ““[Reagan] was well known for saying what he means and meaning what he says and following through,” Byrd said. “Whether people agreed with him or not, he did what he said he would do, so people respected him.

Except, of course, for that business where Reagan said “I will not trade weapons for hostages” and then he, uhm, traded weapons for hostages. On the other hand, the candidate is only 36 or 37, so perhaps he doesn’t actually know anything about what Reagan did. Perhaps his history of Reagan, like his constitutional history, comes from some alternate reality.

8. EW-aif says:

As a candidate he will have an interesting experience and meet a diversity of people. Perhaps at some point he will realize that he shouldn’t put his Christian activism ahead of the public service that a congressman should be pledged to.  (Not that there aren’t many members of Congress who are only pledged to personal advancement, I suspect.)

9. artiofab says:

He doesn’t believe church and state should be separated since, he said, that’s not part of the Constitution.
    Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow. Maybe actually reading the Constitution should be a requirement for running for federal office.

10. Claudia Anderson says:

Sigh, No argues with the fact that faith often shapes political beliefs. It does. What bothers me is people like this who will VOTE in Congress, not on what is Constitutional, but what is Biblical, or worse, what is their interpretation of the Bible. NO folks, this is not a Christian nation founded on the Bible, it is a secular one, founded to allow all to believe as they will. The religious freedom of all is in jeopardy the second we forget that.