Feds probe claim of a payoff to hide Richardson affair

Comments

1. KarlaJohnson says:

This is a snarky report no one can trust.  There has never been a credible report of political fraud or any wrongdoing by anyone in the Richardson Administration.  This is a Republican plot from the get-go.  How much money has been spent looking into this?  All the time while people are starving in the streets and Americans are suffering everywhere.  Lies, all lies.  No one can prove any of this and they need to stop looking into it.  And if they don’t turn over everything they have to all bloggers then there’s also a cover-up–lawbreaking.  It’s lawbreaking I tell you, if they don’t turn over all their evidence to the public right now.  Stop it.

2. JusticeP says:

Ms. Wedum:
    A police officer to the governor is not a good comparison.  The police officer has a scheduled time to work and to be in a proper positioning to do the job.  The governor is visible at all times and for all actions as he/she represents the people of New Mexico.  If he gets the affidavits and they are truthful then our justice system will declare he is innocent to the legal allegation.  This does not mean the actions demonstrate bad judgment or an attitude of I do not care what others think.

qofdisks:  Does paying for a mistress after the fact not engage a person in prostitution?  An illegal activity in New Mexico.

3. GFA says:

The payoff is the problem, not necessarily the affair, except to Richardson and his wife.  If this is true, it suggests that other payoffs could have taken place in pay-to-play shenanigans during his administration.  Yes, he’s smart enough to avoided getting into trouble over all the allegations, but time will tell and birds in danger of going to jail will sing.

4. qofdisks says:

Actually, Edwards may do just that.

5. wedum59 says:

JP, it is more about the difference between a person’s private life and their public behavior. For example,I don’t believe that a police officer’s personal stuggle with alcoholism is any of my business as long as he or she performs the job properly.  And I believe that Governor Martinez is a good wife and mother, etc.  But what she does with my tax dollars is definitely my business.  Whether Richardson, or Martinez,  has been involved in “pay to play” schemeis definitely my business.  Their personal lives are not.  Edwards, on the other hand, allegedly improperly used donations to his campaign, which is a government-regulated fund.  (Which brings up a point–what if he got the donors of a total of a million dollars or more to sign affidavits stating that they retroactively allow him to use the funds to pay off his mistress??)

6. qofdisks says:

If somebody wants to pay another man’s mistress, they are free to do so.

7. JusticeP says:

Ms. wedum59
    If Richardson can not honor his oath commitment to his wife why do you think he would honor his oath commitment to the state of New Mexico’s citizens.
    On another point I might agree with your statement regarding Martinez etc, but that is not the subject of this commentary.

8. wedum59 says:

If, as the article itself claims, the contributors directly provided the funds, that is the money was NOT contributed to Richardson’s campaign account and THEN sent to the alleged woman (affairee?), then I don’t think the charge will stick.  It is not illegal for a man to ask his pals to bail him out of a jam.  It is not illegal (or even uncommon, unfortunately) for a man to commit adultery either.

I am more concerned about misappropriation of public funds, as in the “sweetheart deals” that Governor Martinez made with Janetta Hicks when Martinez ran the DA office in Las Cruces and Hicks (now a DA herself) worked for her.  That wasn’t illegal then, it is now.

Very Interesting, but Bill is very smart and has lots of friends in high places, he also knows very well how to cover tracks.  I find it amusing he is in Nigeria at an “environmental” conference.  Perhaps he is talking them into a cap and trade deal or joining Kyoto?  He is a master negotiator you know, and I’m sure is trying to save the planet by being in such a wonderful place.