The GOP becomes a viable option for Hispanics

Comments

1. Red Chili Revolution says:

Junior Luevano blogs, “Rest assured folks, the current Democratic Party resembles nothing close to those self-sacrificing American values that JFK promoted when your mother and father were growing up.”

We agree with Junior, but only in the sense that his statement applies to the current conservative Dems who control the State Legislature.

Junior’s statement applies all the more so to those right-wing Republicans who joined with these Dems to cut and defund New Mexico’s K-12 public schools (including those in Artesia), colleges, and universities (including UNM) for the third (3rd) year in a row.

As to Junior’s use of Gov. Martinez as pudding proof that the right-wing Republican Party is reaching-out to Hispanic candidates, allow us to remind him how Gov. Martinez, unfortunately, managed to become the first female governor of New Mexico:

1. Democratic fatigue – After 8 years of Gov. Richardson and Dem rule, the chances of another Dem winning the Governor’s Mansion was slim and next to none.

2. Economic Crash of 2008 – Even though they shouldn’t get all the blame, the Dems were in charge.

3. Anthony & Marc Correra - Marc made at least $11.5 million in fees securing big hedge funds investments from the state’s Educational Retirement Board. Who knows how much Dad made?

4. Candidate Susana Martinez – She said, “Vote for me, I won’t cut education.” This campaign promise held great sway with us, especially after two (2) years of dealing with Dems cutting our education budgets. So, most public education staff and faculty voted for Martinez. We’re having buyer’s remorse, and New Mexico has no procedure for recall of its Governor.

2. Ramirez says:

GM- Damn right, the taste of chile is the least of our concern. We have a great opportunity to better influence Government like never before. We are conservative in nature, and nobody will take that away. As much as the liberal left will kick and scream that they are the guardians of the minority future, they need to know they are out of touch.

3. IcarusPhoenix says:

Mr. Pruitt:

That was the clear implication of your words; the ways in which you justify your demonstrably unsustainable world view are ever more perplexing, though perhaps I should have said that you held that opinion of “non-Americans” or “non-English speakers” rather than “non-whites”; as for your “true colors”, a man who frequently tries to revise American history to meet his bizarre worldview, has such an obviously tenuous grasp on science, and who has been caught lying about his own past by the editor of this very website is hardly someone from whom I will take seriously the phrase, “the truth will out.”

And gm, it’s hard for people “living the lives of liberals” (whatever that’s supposed to mean…) not to think like liberals when facts and results keep proving us correct.

4. jivaro99 says:

Icarus the color of a man’s skin has nothing to do with his intelligence, that only comes from an open mind. For your information I am half Indian as well as half white. What would that make me, half intelligent?

As far as true colors, I have never tried to hide the fact that I am a conservative, nor do I try to stand behind race as a shield. I believe we were all created in God’s image, no matter the color of skin or ethnic origin. How do you rate yourself Icarus?

Casting stones is easy, but the truth will always out.

5. gm says:

I know we all look alike but we don’t all think alike. Really really…….The GOP is not in the business of “educating”…Here in Northern NM we all know the diff between conservatism and liberalism…..Dems control because they own the school boards, the State, the counties, the cities, the electrical coop boards….u name it……..All translates into jobs, jobs, jobs…..U live the life of a liberal, u soon believe like one……..
    BTW, I don’t want anyone reaching out to me because I’m of Latino descent…….I consider that patronizing….I couldn’t give a damn less if u like green chile…..

6. IcarusPhoenix says:

Thank you, Mr. Doyle, for further demonstrating your true colors by basing your entire premise on the idea that non-white=unintelligent.

7. jivaro99 says:

The problem all along is that so many of the Hispanics do not realize that what they believe in is the same thins conservatives believe in and the GOP has been lax in including them in their educational endeavors. To entice anyone to your side, you first must outline what your beliefs are and include the entire public in those ideals.

This is where the GOP failed. They included only parts of the society in their education. There are millions of Hispanics, as well as other ethnic groups America, registered as liberals, but their basic belief is of conservative nature. But, so many of them have heard the word Democracy as the word that stands for America’s greatness and equate that with the word Democrat. Nothing could be farther apart in reality. It is definitely time for the GOP to include all ethnic groups in their educational programs.

8. Ramirez says:

Well put. I hope Northern NM can become a new area that the GOP can work, especially with a hispanic candidate.