Schools teach that an unarmed society is safer

Comments

1. wedum59 says:

I think the schools would be much safer if the teachers and administrative staff had a procedure they could follow to train in the *safe* use of a handgun and receive a permit to conceal carry while on the job. (Without having to pay the $250 or so for the training and license.)

Good point copkey. And when I was in high school here in NM, everybody who had a pickup truck had a gun rack with a 30/30 and a .22 in the rack in the school parking lot. But I guess we were all good kids in those days, not like the types today.

3. copkey says:

Here is an interesting point: I am 65 years old, when I was in high school our SCHOOL had 65 m1 garrand semi-auto rifles, 7,200 rounds of ball ammo, ten 22 cal target rifles and a whole bunch of 22 cal ammo. And this was in southern California. circa 1959 – 1963

4. Mojavegreen says:

Unfortunately this hysteria wont go away anytime soon. I do agree that schools need to be as safe as possible but as usual people tend to go overboard in that process. I agree that guns in general should not be allowed on campus, However in certain circumstances there should be leeway given. Once a firearm is discovered, especially in the situation described above the parent should be notified and the firearm retrieved. Perhaps a detention or suspension should be handed out.

Too bad 99% of the sheeple have no clue that NOBODY is obligated to provide for their safety or security. The only one that is obligated to provide for that is the private individual. This can be easily verified by going to the SCOTUS website or simply going to places like ask.com and asking “Are the police obligated to protect me” or words to that affect and see what you get. Youtube has a number of videos on that subject with verifiable resources. I know it to be true first hand when I dialed 911 dial a prayer and was denied police assistance because “it was too dangerous for them to send someone out to me”. Here are some links http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb3rAglRsqU&feature=related http://www.ask.com/
    SCOTUS– http://www.supremecourt.gov/

Do the research. You value safety and security. Stop taking a dump on the Constitution and defendit. Because you will never know what you got until you lose it.

Great story and great points Dr. Swickard. This is what happens when government busy bodies and incompetents try to decide all issues as black and white (usually using their own opinions and ideas as truth) and impose them without any intelligent thought upon the citizens. These zero-tolerance items are a case in point in most all instances.

6. Thomas Molitor says:

@ Michael S
    I think you prove your point convincingly. Thanks for the story!

7. ksparks says:

January 16, 2002, Grundy, Virginia: Peter Odigizua, a former law student who had just flunked out of the Appalachian School of Law for the second time in as many years, left the school after appealing to faculty to allow him to continue. Odigizua retrieved a .380 semi-automatic from his home that he had shared with his wife and three sons prior to her recently moving out due to domestic violence, came back to the school shooting and killing Professor Thomas Blackwell, Dean Anthiny Sutin, and fellow first year law student Angela Dales. He then shot three more ladies in the lobby of the school before two students retrieved there own firearms from their vehicles in the student parking lot and held Odigizua at bay until police arrived.

Following this incident, a few of the leftist, misguided professors at ASL sought to expel the two students who I view as saving more of our lives that fateful day. The faculty members above did succeed in enacting a zero tolerance weapons policy at the law school. Such knee jerk reactions are misguided because they only serve to endanger those who would thwart the deadly plans of violent people who pay no attention to such zero tolerance rules.

I think this weather is phenomenal because it may have affected the climate in Hades itself because, I find myself at least partially agreeing with Dr. Hays for once.

8. Michael L Hays says:

Michael, I do not think that these scattered examples of stupidity prove your point. The same point can be made about other weapons, drugs/medications, etc. If we can take intent into account in deciding murder cases, I cannot understand why we cannot take intent into account in determining weapons (etc)-on-campus cases.

I think that there are two lessons here: (1) zero-tolerance policies are infinite-idiocy policies because (2) they give cover to school authorities, too often robotic bureaucrats, incapable or fearful of exercising judgment. The lessons taught are (1) do not think and (2) follow any rules because they are rules. I am not the guy to advocate the principle “rules are made to be broken”–that is convenient BS for doing whatever one wants to do–but I am the guy to argue that rules must serve some reasonable purpose.