Barela picked to be economic development secretary

Comments

1. Strategery says:

Boy I wish I had bought Cerelink stock. I’m sure this firm will be handsomely rewarded. Isnt the conflict of interest obvious? I’m sure the film industry is gonna do just fine now.

2. Spiro says:

Mr. Secretary-designate:

Congratulations on a well-deserved appointment!

Best of luck toyou.

Spiro & Mary Laura V.

Well, my sainted grandmother would not recognize the TV ad lady’s pronounciation. And, the official guide shows it this way: “Barela, Jon (bâr-EL-ə)”

4. Thomas Molitor says:

I have shook hands with Jon but have never had a conversation with him.
    I voted for him because I have never shook hands with Martin Heinrich and I am a Republican and Jon appeared like a genuine guy.
    I don’t know much about Mr. Barela other than he worked for Intel. I have a long history with Intel, dating back to doing the original marketing position for selling a microchip to consumers instead of PC makers only.
    The jobs data announced today suck. 39,000 new jobs created in November. Manufacturing jobs lost.
    Unemployment rate inched up to 9.8%.
    The fact is, we have an anemic national economy going – the stimulus isn’t working; quantitative easing isn’t working.
    QE, is what it is called, is supposed to stimulate inflation and as a result stimulate employment. Obviously, that’s not happening.
    Here are some economic nostrums I believe in and I hope our new Sec. of Economic Development agrees with me:

1. You can’t create economic growth by trying to create demand.
    2. You create growth by creating supply.
    3. Supply means productive capacity; it means capital; it means investment; it means savings.
    4. We must stop punishing employers with taxes, regulations, and mandates.

Welcome aboard, Mr. Barela. Not only do you have your job cut out for you; you have a legislature waiting in the wings to cut you (not out of malice; but out of a lack of economic understanding).

5. nmgov.tv says:

Governor Johnson started the film initiative program. However, Richardson took it in a different direction. I do believe that Jon Barela can help get it back on track where it truly benefits the taxpayers of New Mexico.

6. jbaca16 says:

This will be a good position for him. He can be a decent guy when he wants to and is out of campaign mode. He won’t be making fun of anyone for properly pronouncing his New Mexican surname though Mr. Coalcracker. People like you don’t even know what they are, but the rest of us do.

That was hilarious Coal, and the last line she had, “I don’t trust this John Barrrrela”. But she trusted Marty?

8. Coalcracker says:

What a guy! My wife and I used to laugh over Heinrich’s commercial about Barela taking some poor woman’s social security from her. It was all nonsense, of course. But the best part of the commercial was the way the woman rolled her RRRRRs.

Don’t take my social security away, Mr Barrrrela.