I recently won several state and regional awards for work including feature reporting and commentary writing.
In the Society of Professional Journalists’ 2013 Top of the Rockies competition, a regional contest for several western states, I won:
- First place among online media in the news feature category for my article Immigrants’ stories are key to reform effort.
- Second place among online media in the news column category for my commentary Tax bill shows need for legislative reform.
And in the New Mexico Press Women’s 2013 competition, I won:
- First place in the editorial category for my commentary Tax bill shows need for legislative reform.
“Nice job calling out the people — and a system — that doesn’t work for taxpayers,” one of the judges in the Top of the Rockies competition wrote about my column on legislative reform.
I’m also part of a team of reporters that have won awards for two major projects:
- For our reporting on the fallout from state’s audit of 15 behavioral health providers, I and a team of journalists from New Mexico In Depth and the Las Cruces Sun-News won first place among online media for health enterprise reporting in the Top of the Rockies competition. We also won first place for continuing coverage in the New Mexico Press Women competition.
- For a series examining Gov. Susana Martinez’s tenure, I and a team of journalists from NMID, the Sun-News and The Santa Fe New Mexican won first place among online media for politics enterprise reporting. We also won first place in the special series category in the New Mexico Press Women competition.
I’m honored to be recognized for journalism I’m passionate about. I’m especially honored to be part of a team of journalists working together to do important work none of us could do alone.